Estate planning ensures that the financial affairs of the individual or family are dealt with as efficiently as possible and that Inheritance Tax (IHT) is minimised on death.
When someone dies, we can help with completion of the probate forms and IHT account. There is a great deal of information to collate and often where it is the death of an existing client we already have a great deal of information on our files. The very organised client may well have been prepared to complete our ‘Die Tidy’ form which is quite an extensive asset summary and means that we have a record of the answers to questions that often it is of course too late to ask.
There is a lot of collation of information to process in dealing with the administration of the estate and our approach is to make the process as straight forward as possible. In considering the wishes of the deceased, there is sometimes other tax planning which we need to draw to the family’s attention. We can guide the family as well as preparing the appropriate tax returns.
There are also occasions when we work alongside legal firms to complete detailed estate accounts in the administration of an estate.
How we can help
Mercer & Hole advise clients on estate planning and the administration of an estate. With partners and directors who are also Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP) qualified, we are professionally recognised as ‘trusted advisors’ in this field.
The services which we offer clients in this area include:
- Advice on estate planning as part of a full review of financial affairs
- Advice on IHT, IHT exempt gifts, charitable gifts and philanthropy
- Administration of an estate when someone dies including consideration of how to plan and use CGT exemptions and the tax implications of appointing out certain assets.
- Record keeping, accounting and reporting
- Providing tax advice to beneficiaries of the estate
- Working in collaboration with law firms, as necessary to complete the legal aspects of settling an estate
For further information, please contact us at Mercer & Hole - Click here if you wish to submit an email enquiry
Contact a Private Client Partner
Latest Tax Blog Post
Capital gains tax on the sale of a home is in the news again and it is worth a quick reminder of some key points: Relief applies to “a...