London: +44 (0)20 7236 2601
St Albans: +44 (0)1727 869141
Rickmansworth: +44 (0) 1923 771010
Milton Keynes: +44 (0)1908 605552

Non-resident Landlords Scheme (NRLS)

The UK tax system dictates that non-UK residents who receive rental income from property within the UK are liable for income tax payable to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC). This applies to individuals, companies and trusts that receive UK rental income.

  • Individuals are considered Non-resident Landlords (NRL) if they live outside the UK for 6 months or more per year.
  • Companies that are either incorporated outside of the UK or have its main office/premises outside of the UK are classified as a NRL.
  • A trust is a NRL if all trustees live outside of the UK.

How we can help

Given the attractiveness of the UK property landscape and the buoyant rental market, our clients include individuals, companies and trusts to whom we offer a full range of services:

  • Advice on the UK tax implications of owning UK rental property.
  • Assist in the completion and submission of Self-Assessment returns.
  • Preparation of rental accounts.
  • Advice on UK tax deductible expenses incurred.
  • Maintaining adequate records so as to comply with HMRC’s NRLS.
  • Convenience in that UK tax affairs relating to UK rental property are up to date and in order.

For further information, please contact us at Mercer & Hole - click here if you wish to submit an email enquiry to one of our Private Client Partners.

Contact a Private Client Partner

Latest Tax Blog Post

Capital Gains Tax and Separation

Introduction Draft legislation has been released which will impact divorcing or separating couples, who are disposing of their main residence and/or...

Read More