Review of the Charities Act 2006
Lord Hodgson of Astley Abbotts has been appointed to lead the review of the Charities Act 2006. He will report on his review to Parliament before the summer recess in 2012.
A review is being undertaken now as it is a requirement of the Charities Act 2006 that a review of the Act be undertaken five years after the legislation came in to force.
The objectives of the review are to:
- report on the operation and effectiveness of the provisions of the 2006 Act
- consider whether further changes could be made to improve the legal and regulatory framework for charities.
The review will aim to answer the following 3 key questions:
- what is a charity and what are the roles of charities?
- what do charities need to have/be able to do in order to be able to deliver those roles?
- what should the legal framework for charities look like in order to meet those needs (as far as possible)?
In answering these questions, the review will consider:
- public confidence in charities
- the level of charitable donations
- the willingness of individuals to volunteer
- excepted charities
- the status of the Charity Commission as a non-Ministerial Department
In addition to the above, the review will also consider specific matters raised to the government by the sector such as:
- current accounting, reporting and audit procedures, including cross-border requirements and reporting.
- licensing regime for public charitable collections
- self-regulation of fundraising activities
- thresholds for registration of charities
- effectiveness of organisational forms available to charities, including the Charitable Incorporated Organisation
Further information is available at the Cabinet office website www.cabinetoffice.gov.uk.
Date: 15th December, 2011
Articles from this Author
24th July, 2018
Academies Accounts Direction 2017/2018 (AAD)
9th February, 2018
Guidance for charities regarding the changes to the automatic disqualification of trustees rules
30th November, 2017
Legislative changes affecting the Charitable Incorporated Organisation (CIO)
14th November, 2017
Updated guidance for independent examiners (CC32)
Our Corporate Finance Team has been shortlisted for Corporate Finance Advisory Firm of the Year at the Insider Cent… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
For the latest Mercer & Hole news, visit our LinkedIn page mercer-&-hole