Academies conversion opened up to all schools that are performing well
In the month to 7 April 2011 162 schools became academies and a further 473 were in the pipeline. Responding to increasing demand from headteachers, the Government announced on 7 April that schools that are performing well can now apply in their own right. Before this date only schools which Ofsted judged Outstanding or Good with Outstanding features had been allowed to apply to convert in their own right. Other schools had had to apply as part of wider chains, working with strong schools.
However, many other mainstream and special schools stated that they should be allowed to become stand-alone Academies. Responding to this demand the Government have stated that from 7 April they will consider applications from any school, including special schools, that can make a compelling case for Academy status – looking in particular at:
* exam performance over the last three years;
* comparison with local and national exam performance;
* latest Ofsted reports with a specific focus on ‘capacity to improve’, ‘outcomes’, and ‘leadership and management’;
* for special schools, in addition to the above, other success in supporting the learning of pupils with special educational needs;
* any other matters that the school may rely on in order to demonstrate that it is performing well.
In total at 7 April there were 629 academies open, compared to 203 in May 2010. At that date half a million pupils attended academies.
Date: 16th May, 2011
Articles from this Author
24th July, 2018
Academies Accounts Direction 2017/2018 (AAD)
9th February, 2018
Guidance for charities regarding the changes to the automatic disqualification of trustees rules
30th November, 2017
Legislative changes affecting the Charitable Incorporated Organisation (CIO)
14th November, 2017
Updated guidance for independent examiners (CC32)
Thinking of outsourcing your business? Want to know the key benefits on why you should outsource the financial func… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
For the latest Mercer & Hole news, visit our LinkedIn page mercer-&-hole