London: +44 (0)20 7236 2601
St Albans: +44 (0)1727 869141
Rickmansworth: +44 (0) 1923 771010
Milton Keynes: +44 (0)1908 605552

Expenses Payments for employees travelling outside the UK

Many employers reimburse subsistence expenses by way of scale rate payments.

HMRC has now agreed that employers may use the benchmark rates published by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office when paying accommodation and subsistence expenses to employees who travel abroad on business without the need for the employees to produce expenses receipts. The rates can be found at

Accommodation and subsistence payments at or below the published rates will not be liable for Income Tax or National Insurance contributions and employers need not include them on forms P11D. However, if an employer decides to pay less than the published rates its employees are not automatically entitled to tax relief for the shortfall. They can only claim expenses supported by receipts, less any amounts paid by their employer.

These tax/NIC free amounts are in addition to the incidental overnight expenses that employers may reimburse tax/NIC free (  



Date: 20th May, 2008
Author: Cathy Corns


Articles from this Author

Contact Business Service Partners

Choose from the drop down menu below to select a Partner to contact.


Mercer & Hole’s @GudgionJa progress in @CelebJustDance - Not much longer to Waite now….. @MKDonsSET

Mercer & Hole’s Michael Lapham impresses at the @MoneyMgmtMag Financial Planner Awards…



For the latest Mercer & Hole news, visit our LinkedIn page mercer-&-hole

Click here to follow us on LinkedIn