EU draft tax report
The EU’s special committee on tax rulings has published its draft report on “harmful corporate tax regimes and practices at European and international level, with the aim of fighting tax evasion and aggressive tax planning, notably by increasing transparency and cooperation between governments and between national parliaments”.
The priorities outlined in the report include action on transfer pricing; a renewed call for a common corporate consolidated tax base; and legislation on patent box regimes to ensure that intellectual property tax reliefs are closely linked with genuine economic activity.
Other recommendations include:
- Keeping the proposed anti-tax avoidance directive as one single directive;
- Encouraging member states to endorse an agreed blacklist of uncooperative tax havens by the end of 2016;
- Introducing an EU-wide withholding tax, to ensure that profits are taxed at least once before leaving the EU, with a refund system to avoid double taxation;
- Promoting research and development through subsidies, rather than patent boxes;
- Introducing a ‘minimum effective taxation’ clause into the interest and royalties directive;
- An EU code of conduct for all advisory services, including tough sanctions for professionals and companies involved in aggressive tax planning and evasion;
- Creating a new EU ‘tax policy coherence and coordination centre’;
- Guaranteeing EU-wide legal protection for whistleblowers; and
- Reforming the European council’s code of conduct group on business taxation to increase its transparency and accountability.
Might be only of academic interest though in the event of a Brexit.
Date: 2nd June, 2016
Articles from this Author
1st November, 2018
Budget 2018 - Changes for businesses
22nd October, 2018
Making the most out of your home? Rent a room relief
3rd May, 2018
Tax changes for non-resident corporate landlords
4th April, 2018
EMI options - a current risk
Contact Business Service Partners
Choose from the drop down menu below to select a Partner to contact.
Season’s Greetings and Happy New Year from everyone at Mercer & Hole pic.twitter.com/x4o1o9tbWP
For the latest Mercer & Hole news, visit our LinkedIn page mercer-&-hole