Construction industry scheme
HMRC has published a checklist to help companies get their construction industry scheme repayment claims right.
HMRC suggested that claiming companies use the checklist to ensure they have covered all aspects before submitting a claim. The list is:
- Ensure the company’s agent is authorised specifically to act on its behalf for CIS repayments.
- Check that the unique taxpayer reference and the company subcontractor’s name are correct on all documents.
- Check that all the company’s payment and deduction statements that HMRC have requested to process the claim are sent and for the correct period.
- If the company was incorporated during the year, ensure that its claim for repayment does not include any periods before incorporation.
- Check that the CIS deductions taken from the company’s subcontractors are correct and have been reported correctly on the monthly returns.
- Check that the company has no outstanding returns in its capacity as a contractor.
- Ensure that form P35 or the final employer payment summary under real time information has already been submitted.
- Submit any information requested within the timescale specified by HMRC and that everything requested by HMRC is included.
- Where there are overpayments that do not relate to CIS, verify how these have arisen by providing supporting documentary evidence to HMRC along with the claim for repayment.
Where the company has ceased trading, remember to send in all outstanding returns for the subcontractors.
Date: 3rd September, 2013
Articles from this Author
20th July, 2017
Uncertain times for winding up transactions
3rd July, 2017
9th June, 2017
27th April, 2017
Government places Making Tax Digital legislation on hold
Contact Business Service Partners
Choose from the drop down menu below to select a Partner to contact.
Our latest edition of UK Inward Investment - what are the opportunities for you, is out now bit.ly/2xB0cun click to read more
For the latest Mercer & Hole news, visit our LinkedIn page mercer-&-hole