Trusts and Estates
Trusts are created to give real flexibility within a family context on when and to whom assets should pass. They can commence during lifetime (to ensure future growth is outside of your estate) or in conjunction with a Will on death. Often the key objective is to protect the underlying assets until a trigger event or date, though new trusts can now run for up to 125 years.
Depending on the circumstances, a trust is an ideal solution to a variety of specific concerns you may have:
- too much wealth passing to your children at too young an age; or
- protecting vulnerable relatives who are unlikely to be able to manage their affairs; or
- to provide for a husband or wife after your death whilst protecting the interests of any children.
Trusts are also key structures in helping the succession planning of a landed estate through the generations or for a family business.
At Mercer & Hole, as professional advisers, we have the necessary technical expertise to offer practical and informed advice in a constructive manner to help you achieve your objectives.
What services do we offer?
Our clients receive assistance in the following key areas:
- Our expertise in developing the overall financial strategy for the family including the use of trusts as a potential tool where beneficial.
- Providing a rock solid compliance service including running and administering trusts and estates (preparation of accounts and tax returns) and acting as trustee or executor.
- Following a death, we offer a complete service for administration of the estate, from application for probate to final distribution. Where a Will creates an on-going trust, our expertise ensures that we are able to move seamlessly from administering the estate to running the on-going trust
- As well as trusts set up for family provision we have wide experience in working with charitable trusts and ensuring that they comply with regulatory requirements.
How can we help?
Generally we provide our services through our specialist trust corporation, Mercer & Hole Trustees Ltd. We have responsibility for over 450 trusts, ranging in size from less than £100,000 of underlying assets to many millions of pounds.
Please get in touch with a member of our team if you would like to discuss your trust or estate query in greater detail.
Mercer & Hole Trustees Limited is regulated by the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England & Wales for a range of investment business activities.