Currently trading losses in companies can be offset against
- other income and gains in the same period;
- all income in the previous period;
- any income of a group company in the same period;
- profits from the same trade in future periods.
The relief of non-trade losses is less flexible.
HMRC is now consulting on the best way to achieve the reforms promised from 1 April 2017, namely:-
- trading losses arising after 1 April 2017 can be carried forward and set against all income in the same or a group company; and
- Trading losses that arose before 1 April 2017 will still be available for offset against trading profit;
- only 50% of profits over £5 million can be covered by losses brought forward.
Date: 8th June, 2016
Articles from this Author
20th July, 2017
Uncertain times for winding up transactions
3rd July, 2017
9th June, 2017
27th April, 2017
Government places Making Tax Digital legislation on hold
Contact Business Service Partners
Choose from the drop down menu below to select a Partner to contact.
For the latest Mercer & Hole news, visit our LinkedIn page mercer-&-hole